BOOK THE MOVERS
You can choose to have your movers pack everything, or just the breakables, or you can pack yourself. It is a good idea to obtain estimates from several different companies and ask for complete references.
IF YOU OWN YOUR PRESENT HOME
- Arrange to have your gas, water and hydro meters read on the day you leave and forward the bill to your new address.
- Have the oil tank read and filled before your sale closes (unless stipulated otherwise in the offer)
- If the water heater or furnace is rented, arrange for a transfer of the rental agreement to the purchaser.
- Disconnect your telephone, cable and water softener.
IF YOU RENT YOUR PRESENT HOME
- Give necessary written notice to your landlord and make arrangements for the return of any money you have on deposit.
AT YOUR NEW HOME
- Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, water softener, telephone and cable to be connected on the day the sale closes.
- Get change of address cards from the post office and send out well before moving day.
- Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
- Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pick-up, newspapers, magazines and other home services. Arrange for service at your new address.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations and memberships.
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription and optical records.
- Change the address on your driver’s licence(s) effective the day of the move.
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair or storage (e.g. dry cleaning).
- Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets.