Holiday Staycation Ideas in Ottawa
Published on 23 November 2022 in Blog Ottawa by
Last updated on April 13th, 2023 at 03:38 pmWho says you have to leave the city to have a vacation? Ottawa and its surrounding areas are full of gems to explore, whether you want a getaway on your own or with friends and family. With the holiday season around the corner, it might be tempting to pack your bags and fly to warmer climates. But there are many things to check out during the winter months that are closer to home for you to feel rejuvenated. Here are some holiday staycation ideas in Ottawa to get you started.
Tour the CityWhether you’ve lived in the Capital your whole life or recently moved, you can make a day out of exploring all it has to offer and be a tourist in your own town. If you’re stumped for ideas, here are some items you might want to add to your itinerary:
- Start the day with a stroll through ByWard Market to browse various vendors. Then, try brunch at HeadQuarters, a unique spot that combines a salon, cafe, and restaurant all in one place.
- Take in some art at the Ottawa Art Gallery, just a short walk away from your brunch spot.
- Enjoy the sights along the Rideau Canal that highlight nature’s beauty. If it’s the right temperature for skating, glide down its eight-kilometre stretch to get your heart pumping. Not only is this a fun solo or family activity, but you’ll also have access to food and beverage concessions along the way (BeaverTails too!).
- Finish off the day with a delectable meal in The Glebe, a trendy neighbourhood near the Canal that offers many options to fulfill all of your cravings.
Take a Spa DayNothing says staycation more than a nice relaxing day of wellness and self-care. Head to one of Ottawa’s many spas to get a massage and facial, or purchase a package that includes various treatments for a whole day. After hours of relaxation, you can return home feeling rejuvenated and ready to take on life again! Here are some spots you can try:
- Renu Spa (Downtown/Centretown)
- Au Naturel Spa (Kanata)
- The Spa Ottawa (Kanata)
- Holtz Spa (ByWard Market)
Stay in a Fancy HotelLive the lavish life for a night by checking yourself into a fancy hotel like the Fairmont Château Laurier, also known as the Capital’s castle. Here, you can feel like royalty without the expensive costs of airfare, rental vehicles, and multiple-night stays. Located right between downtown and the ByWard Market area, you’ll have easy access to main attractions and restaurants while also taking advantage of the hotel’s amenities, like the spa, pool, room service, and many dining options.
A Day of Wine TastingBuyers + Cellars offers a luxurious wine-tasting experience in a prime downtown location. It carefully designed its interior for the optimal vino-tasting atmosphere. For example, it has unscented soap, neutralized air and unflavoured filtered water to keep your palate thoroughly cleansed. You’ll also find enomatic wine dispensers and temperature-controlled wine to ensure quality. Additionally, you can complement your day with tapas and charcuterie from a menu curated by chef Chris Archer. With vineyards located across the globe, you’ll get a sampling of the flavours of the world without leaving the country.
These getaway destinations can help you look forward to the city’s wonders, especially if you just moved to Ottawa or are planning to in the near future. If you’re in the market for a new home, check out our listings available in the region’s many vibrant neighbourhoods or get in touch with our real estate team for recommendations about what our beautiful city offers.