West Carleton

The historic township of West Carleton is located in a rural area just west of Ottawa, past Kanata. Bounded in the north, by the Ottawa River, it includes the growing communites of Carp & Dunrobin. West Carleton township was created in 1974 as a result of the amalgamation of three townships which included Torbolton, Fitzroy, and Huntley. Like all surrounding communities, in 2001 West Carleton was amalgamated with the other ten municipalities in the Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton to become part of the city of Ottawa, Canada.

West Carleton Fast Facts

  • Population: 18,520* (*2006 census)
  • % Change (1996-2001): 4.4 %
  • Homes in West Carleton: 6,602
  • Area (km²): 623.47
  • Density (persons per km²): 27.7

West CarletonTorbolton Township Area Information

Originally part of Carleton County in eastern Ontario, Canada, Torbolton is located in the western portion of the county. Established in 1821 by Torbolton’s first settler David MacLaren, Torbolton was amalgamated with Huntley and Fitzroy to form West Carleton in 1974. Then in 2001, West Carleton was amalgamated with the 10 other townships to form the new city of Ottawa. According to the 2001 Canadian census, the Township of Torbolton had a population of 6,304 residents.

Fitzroy Township Area Information

Fitzroy is an historic township originally part of Carleton County in eastern Ontario, Canada. Fitzroy was located in the western part of the county, bordered to the northeast by Torbolton Township, to the southeast by Huntley Township, to the southwest by Pakenham Township and to the northwest by the Ottawa River. The township was established in 1823. The first permanent settler is believed to have been Charles Shirreff around 1818. Shirreff founded the settlement of Fitzroy Harbour in 1831. The township was an important centre of the timber trade during the 19th century. In 1974, the township was amalgamated with Huntley and Torbolton to form West Carleton. In 2001, West Carleton became part of the new city of Ottawa.

Huntley Area Information

Huntley is an historic township originally part of Carleton County in eastern Ontario, Canada. Huntley was located in the western part of the county, bordered to the northwest by Fitzroy Township, to the northeast by March Township, to the southwest by Ramsay Township and to the southeast by Goulbourn Township. The township was established in 1841. The first settlers in the area were immigrants from Ireland in the early 19th century. In 1974, it was amalgamated with Torbolton and Fitzroy to form West Carleton. In 2001, West Carleton became part of the new city of Ottawa. The town of Carp was located in Huntley Township. Huntley took its name from Huntly Castle, associated with Lady Charlotte Gordon, the wife of Charles Lennox, 4th Duke of Richmond, Governor General of British North America from 1818 to 1819. According to the Canada 2001 Census, the Township had a population of 6,435.

West Carleton Real Estate Information

As your trusted West Carleton real estate agent team, we are your West Carleton area advisors providing home buyers easy to use West Carleton MLS search tools and area information about Huntley, Fitzroy, and Torbolton townships . Contact us, Bobbie & Geoff McGowan, your West Carleton realtors today to preview any home for sale in West Carleton.