08 Aug Create the perfect outdoor kitchen space with these easy projects
(BPT) – Now that warmer weather is here, you want to spend as much time outdoors as possible – and that includes mealtime. But what if your outdoor kitchen space is lacking? Worry not! There are several easy, affordable projects that can help you transform the area into the perfect cooking and entertaining area. Give these projects a try to recreate your space.
* Start with the grill. Your grill will be the focal point of your cooking area and you’ll need to determine whether gas, charcoal or propane is right for you. If expense is a concern, propane is a more cost-effective fuel than charcoal and it doesn’t require running any lines to your grilling area, providing you with the same grilling space and fewer expenses.
* Build a barbecue cover. Give your kitchen a beautiful outdoor shelter by building a barbecue cover from Western Red Cedar. This natural wood is resistant to rot, decay and insects, and it will look great no matter what the weather brings, turning a beautiful silver grey patina if left to weather naturally. In addition, building the cover is easy – simply follow the nine-step process found at RealCedar.com.
* Find the perfect light. Looking to make your outdoor kitchen an area everyone wants to be in, even at night? Forget the deck light and opt for ambient lighting options instead. Track lighting can be strung across your space easily to make the kitchen a welcoming environment. And if you want to be more unique, you can find simple instructions online for building wine-bottle torches or Mason jar lamps.
* A place for guests to dine. Enjoy the food where it was made by building a dining table and chairs from Western Red Cedar. Building a table is easier than you think, and red cedar can be finished anyway you like. This allows you to create furniture perfect for a more traditional or modern kitchen.
* Provide a little shade. Make those summer afternoons enjoyable and comfortable by providing some shade for your guests – and for the cook as well. Patio umbrellas are a helpful addition to any seating area. To cover a larger space, you could also opt for an all-encompassing retractable awning that will provide shade when you need it and peel away when everyone wants a little sun.
Many people mistakenly believe that outdoor kitchens are luxury items for only the wealthy, but that is no longer true. Any of the easy projects listed above can help you re-imagine your space into the outdoor kitchen of your dreams.