Ottawa Police Share Halloween Safety Tips
Halloween is a cherished tradition that children look forward to and though the Ottawa real estate area is a wonderful and safe place to raise a family, you should always follow all precautions and local rules. For local Ottawa neighborhoods, the local police have passed out fliers and made appearances at the local Ottawa schools to share the following tips to help keep your trick-or-treaters, you, and your house safe:
The following tips will help ensure a fun Ottawa area Halloween night for all:
- Clear your yard and sidewalk of any obstacles or decorations that may be hard to see in the dark.
- Keep your house well lighted, both inside and out.
- Activate your Ottawa Canada Neighborhood Watch group to help keep the neighborhood safe.
- Report any suspicious or criminal activity to the police.
Ottawa Canada Area Families
While trick-or-treating, families living in Ottawa need to remember:
- Go only to well-lit houses.
- Do not enter a home unless accompanied by your parent.
- Do not talk to strangers along the way.
- Walk on the sidewalks, not in the street.
- Travel in small groups.
- Know your phone number and carry a cell phone for emergency telephone calls.
- Be accompanied by an adult.
- Bring treats home before eating so your parents can inspect them.
- Plan your route and share it with your parents.
- Use flashlights.
- Wear bright, reflective and flame retardant clothing, and if your costume is dark, add some glow bands to your arms and legs and neck to help you stand out.
Tips for adults:
- Make certain hooded costumes or masks do not block a child’s vision. Try makeup instead.
- Accompany young children along their route.
- Instruct older children to travel along a pre-established route and establish a return time.
- Restrict trick-or-treating to homes with porch lights on.
- Instruct children to never enter a strangers’ home.
- Have your trick-or-treaters to bring home the candy before eating it so you can inspect their treats — if in doubt, throw it out.
- Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape.
- Prepare your home for trick-or-treaters.
For additional safety tips, contact the National Safety Council at www.nsc.org.
Ottawa Ontario Real Estate Area
Until next time,